Upcoming Events at Helenalund Hindu Mandir
From spiritual ceremonies to community gatherings, delve into the heart of our vibrant culture. Mark your calendars and join us in celebrating our shared traditions.
Hindu Mandir Samiti warmly invites you and your family to share in the joy, laughter, and blessings of Diwali as the festival of lights approaches. Please join us for a sparkling Diwali celebration as we mark this auspicious occasion!
- Åkervägen 1, 191 40 Helenelund
Journey Through Time
The Legacy of Helenalund Hindu Mandir
Formed in Stockholm in the 1980's, the Hindu Mandir Society was in the year 1998 able to crown a long-drawn struggle by inaugurating the first large Hindu Temple in Stockholm in the suburb of Helenelund.
Since 1998, Hindu Mandir has protected and furthered the interests of Swedish Hindus in multiple ways. Hindu Mandir safeguards the Hindu tradition and lifestyle in Sweden and helps Swedish Hindus integrate into Swedish society.
Hindu Mandir works for the approx. 70 000 Hindus (as well as some Sikhs, Jains, Christians etc) who live in Sweden for shorter or longer period. The temple arranges regular pujas and cultural events, as well as programs for young and old. The temple and its priest also assists with ceremonies for births, initiation, weddings, deaths, information to visiting school classes and to the general public. Everyone is welcome to visit our temple irrespective of their background or desire.
The Next Chapter
Envisioning a New Hindu Mandir Temple
As our community grows and our needs evolve, we are setting forth on a mission to establish a new temple. A sanctuary designed to accommodate our expanding community, safeguard our traditions, and serve as a beacon for future generations in the Greater Stockholm area.
Present Hindu Mandir has been serving the Hindu community for the past 23 years and is a result of relentless efforts of various members and Samitis. Need is felt for constructing a new mandir at a new location due to various compelling reasons:
- We have permission for housing up to 150 persons in the building and are challenged for additional space during usual festivals.
- We are housed in a building which is culturally protected and cannot be altered to expand.
- Poor insulation in the building leads to high heating costs.
Present Samiti is thus of a strong opinion that a new temple must be built on a new premise in Greater Stockholm area that serves Hindu Community for the present and future generation. Present Samiti has made a basic plan of the proposed Hindu Temple which is expected to cost 25 to 28 Million SEK.
Salient features of the plan are:
- Main hall for upto 1000 people capacity
- A separate hall to host events for up to 1000 people capacity
- A kitchen area for cooking food and a dining area for up to 200 people capacity
- Hawan-vedika for marriages and general hawan
- Cloak Room with Jackets, Shoes and kids-stroller storage facility
- Wheelchair accessibility, Parking facility and library
- Easy connectivity with Public transportation